In the first month of a new year, we bet you’re getting out a fresh calendar and making plans for positive change in 2016.
We’re excited to help some first-time and previous homeowners purchase or refinance the house of their dreams this year and are eager to help our customers make the most of their homes. Keep your house in pristine condition and enjoy it to its fullest by scheduling regular cleaning, maintenance, and inspections throughout the year. Here are 16 things you can do to keep your home safe, clean, and cozy in our middle Tennessee homeowner’s checklist for 2016!
1. Touch-up interior and exterior paint inconsistencies, peeling spots, or damages: At least once a year.
To keep your home in like-new condition, maintain its appearance by regularly repainting areas that need attention.
2. Fertilize your lawn: Every fall
As the ground begins to cool and the Tennessee humidity drops a bit, fall is the perfect time to fertilize your lawn and prepare it for winter.
3. Dust and vacuum your windows and window treatments: At least once a year.
Dust and allergens can build up around window treatments, negatively impacting the air quality in your home.
4. Clean and safely store outdoor furniture: Every spring and fall.
Mold, mildew, rust, and discoloration can occur if furniture isn’t adequately protected from outdoor elements.
5. Inspect HVAC and replace filters: 3-4 times per year.
To keep your home’s air quality in check, keep your HVAC system running smoothly.
6. Mulch your garden: Every fall.
Keep your plants fresh and healthy by re-mulching them annually. The fall season (after the leaves fall) is a perfect time to do so.
7. Clean and inspect gutters: At least twice a year.
Depending on what types of trees you have in your yard, you may need to clean and check your gutters more frequently.
8. Spray for pests: At least once a year.
Even if you don’t have pests in your home, you should spray at least once a year as a preventative measure. This is especially true for older homes!
9. Deep-clean your kitchen appliances, including your refrigerator, oven, and microwave: Once a year.
Maintain the quality of your devices and avoid buildup of dirt or rust by cleaning them on an annual basis.
10. Clean rugs and carpets: At least every other year.
Depending on the quality and age of your rugs and carpets, as well as the amount and type of foot traffic in your home, you may need to have them professionally cleaned every year or twice a year. Families with pets and dogs should be especially vigilant!
11. Check fire alarms, fire extinguishers, and family fire drills: At least once a year.
Make sure your home and family members are prepared in case of an emergency.
12. Pressure washing: At least every other year.
Check your home’s exterior for areas that are fading or dirty. Freshen them up with a powerful pressure wash.
13. Chimney cleaning and inspection: Every fall.
Protect your home from potential fires or airflow issues by having a professional service your chimney every year.
14. Caulk and tile inspection: Every year.
Maintain the appearance of your home by repairing any chipped caulk or broken tiles in your bathrooms, kitchen, and other living areas.
15. Inspect your pool: Every year.
Before you open your pool for the spring, have a professional give it a thorough inspection for any issues. Maintain it weekly and swim safely over the summer!
16. Reassess your budget: Every year.
Whether you’re considering moving into a new home or not, it’s a good idea to reassess your budget and mortgage regularly. Staying up to date on local real estate trends and your home’s value will make you a more informed, and ultimately happier, homeowner. Contact us to learn more!
Accurate Mortgage Group | NMLS #4664 | Equal Housing Lender | BBB-Accredited Business